Is painful intercourse a sign of something more?

Intercourse is normally pleasurable and enjoyable, so if you are experiencing painful intercourse it is certainly not normal.  However, if doctors have been unable to diagnose the underlying cause, it could be the sign of something more.

Is painful intercourse a sign of something more?

If you have been having painful intercourse for more than 3 months it could be a sign of vulvodynia.

Vulvodynia is a syndrome characterized by unexplained pain around the opening of the vagina.    The pain is chronic for some women, and as a result it interrupts their normal lifestyle, and they even find it difficult to sit or walk comfortably.

Other symptoms of vulvodynia include irritation, rawness, stinging, and burning in the vaginal area (click here to learn more).

What causes vulvodynia?

The symptoms associated with vulvodynia are often the result of an altered vaginal microflora pattern.

The vaginal microflora normally contains a combination of strains of ‘good’ and ‘bad’ bacteria, but there are typically more good bacteria, which provide an effective defense against infection.  However, if there is a shift in the normal balance, it can cause the bad bacteria to multiply.  When this occurs, the vaginal secretions that emanate from the vaginal fluid cause a range of symptoms linked to vulvodynia.

Treating vulvodynia

Vulvodynia can be treated effectively when an altered vaginal microflora pattern has been detected.  This can be done with the help of a vaginal fluid analysis (VFA) test. 

The VFA test was developed by Dr. R. Stuart Fowler of Fowler GYN International (FGI).  The test identifies the vaginal constituents, and a customized treatment plan is used to return the microflora to normal.  Once this has been achieved, the symptoms of vulvodynia will resolve.  It can take 4-8 months to see results.

Are you experiencing painful intercourse?  Contact the experts in vaginal healthcare at Fowler GYN International, Paradise Valley, AZ, for a consultation. 

You can reach them at, or by calling (480) 420-4001.

Like this article?

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Linkdin
Share on Pinterest