When should I consult a vulvovaginal specialist?

For most women, a yearly visit to a gynecologist is all they need if they don’t have any health issues and not pregnant. However, there are concerns that should prompt a visit to a vulvovaginal specialist.

You should visit a specialist if:


  • You have vaginal opening pain or pain with intercourse. If you are experiencing pain, burning, or stinging in the vulva area  from which you’re unable to get any relief, it’s time to check in with a specialist.  Unexplained pain in the vulva area is often linked to a condition known as vulvodynia.
  • You have recurrent yeast or bacterial infections. There are times when recurrent infections are caused by poor health of the vaginal mucosa and antifungal medication will only provide transient relief. That’s because the root cause has not been addressed. Recurrent infections are often an indication that the vaginal micro-flora is out of balance.
  • You have chronic vaginal discharge or odor
    Most women normally have a clear to milky white discharge from time to time which has a subtle sweet odor. Some women develop excessive discharge or odor which can vary from annoying to embarrassing on account of the underlying health of the vaginal mucosa.
  • You are experiencing urinary frequency/ urgency. If frequency and urgency is chronic it may be a condition known as IC or may be due to irritation in the vestibule at the level of the urethral meatus.
  • You are experiencing itching of the external genitalia. While an occasional itch is not uncommon, if you have it frequently then there can be an underlying vaginal etiology that needs to be addressed.
  • If the vagina is too tight or short. It is not normal to have pain with insertion of tampons or tearing with intercourse. Some vaginal conditions cause the vagina to shrink in length as well. this causes the cervix to get hit on deep thrusting which can cause central pelvic pain

When it comes to vaginal health, it’s important to be vigilant, so if you are experiencing symptoms that won’t go away, or have unusual pain, don’t hesitant to visit a specialist even if your gynecologist can’t find anything wrong. Unfortunately , most general gynecologists lack the requisite diagnostic tools and expertise to positively identify the cause of these conditions. So if you’ve been unsuccessful in finding the help you need, contact the experts in vaginal care at Fowler Gyn International (FGI), Phoenix, AZ. Call (480) 420-4001 today to schedule a consultation with vulvovaginal specialist and board certified Dr. R. Stuart Fowler.

Like this article?

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Linkdin
Share on Pinterest